Thursday, March 24, 2016

The Big 3-0


I've finally reached my first big "hill" in life, 30 years old. It's been one hell of a week and I just can't believe how lucky I am to share my life with the people I do.

My celebrations started a week before my birthday (unbeknownst to me). My husband pulled off a pretty damn good surprise. If you know me, you know it's EXTREMELY difficult to keep secrets like that from me, especially if (like my husband), you live with me and are a really horrible liar.  He made arrangements with his parents to bring our family to their house Saturday morning. I was told it was for a family 5k we were going to do together. Well then the weather was going to be bad...too cold and wet for us to participate with the girls. My husband said we should still go and just spend time with his parents. I didn't argue. I don't mind going down there and I know everyone loves it, so I wasn't suspicious at all when he said that. 

As we were driving to El Reno Saturday morning, Josh had this shit-eating-grin on his face and he suddenly just said "Ok, I can't hold it in anymore....We are dropping the girls off with my parents and you and I are going shopping. You are buying new clothes for yourself and a nice dress to wear for this evening. But that's all I'm telling you for now." So we arrived in El Reno and got the girls settled and headed to the Outlet Mall in OKC. (HUGE thank you to my in laws for making this wonderful day possible!) We found quite a few steals and I really got quite a bit! I found the dress I wanted first thing at one of my favorite boutiques. My husband insisted I take my time and try on anything I thought I might like. This sounds silly, but it was my dream day with him. He actually enjoys shopping with me. He is quite the savvy shopper (and dresser) for himself and for me. I swear if he picked out all my clothes, I would be the most stylish mom on the block! Anyway, he helped me pick out several cute outfits. We really struggled with finding the right shoes for my dress. I kept waiting for him to get impatient and frustrated at our lack of success, but to my surprise, he kept suggesting stores that might have better selections for me. I usually do all of my shopping online because A) there are NO places to shop in Enid, OK and B) who wants to shop and try on clothes with a toddler and baby along? Not me! So it's been years since I've had the opportunity to shop like that guilt free and child-less. My husband said he originally wanted to throw me the typical surprise 30th birthday party (which I would've seen coming a mile away) but then he realized that I never get to shop like that, I was in desperate need of new clothes that fit, and I haven't had more than a couple of hours away from the kids (Lena, more specifically) in almost a year. He was dead on and I could not have enjoyed that day more. Not only was the shopping nice, but OH THE ADULT TALK! If you have a chatty toddler, you know how hard and rare a long adult conversation is. We talked until we literally ran out of subjects. Then we just joked and flirted with each other. Saying you are married to your best friend happens so often that it's almost a cliche now, but in my case, it is SO true. I love my girlfriends and my extended family, but there's NO other person I would rather spend my day with than my husband. 10 years together and I have yet to get sick of him. So this choice to spend the day together like that was the best possible one he could've made. 

After shopping and a nice lunch together, we went back to El Reno to see the girls and get ready for our dinner in the city. I still had no idea where we were going. Once we got on the road, Josh handed me his phone and asked me to pull up directions to Vast in OKC. I had never heard of this place before but quickly learned it was one of the trendiest and nicest restaurants in the city. It had valet parking and we ate on the 49th floor of the tallest building in Oklahoma City. We got there just in time to catch the sunset with the best glass of wine I've ever had. The food was amazing and our waiter was ridiculously knowledgable about his craft. We talked a lot about French cuisine and he gave us some tips for dining when we get to Europe this fall.



After dinner and dessert, we met with some old college friends at a nearby bar for a bit before heading home and pouring ourselves into bed. The next day, it was hot tubbing, birthday cake and all the family time we could possibly want. We kept saying how it felt like a mini-vacation. We went home feeling relaxed and so very content. 

Today was my actual birthday. I was once again reminded how truly blessed I am in the friends and family department. So many sweet messages, flowers, and ever FaceTime with our dear friends in Germany early this morning. 

My husband took off work a half day to come make a wonderful home cooked meal and bake a cake with Elise. It had purple icing and sprinkles and was the best. My parents even traveled in to wish me a happy birthday (and really, to see their grand girls!). 

This whole week, I've really been looking back in awe of my last ten years of life. When I turned 20, I had no idea that I was on the precipice of what would kick start the rest of my life. I started dating my husband about 2 months after my 20th birthday. The rest, as they say, is history. Anyway, besides that, I thought I would take a look back and see everything I managed to accomplish during the last 10 years....

-Met, fell in love, and married my husband
-Graduated college
-Supported my husband through two years of pilot training
-Moved 14 TIMES (yes.....14!)
-Survived three deployments. One by my lonesome, one with a baby, and one with a toddler and a baby on the way.
-Suffered 2 miscarriages
-Successfully brought 2 healthy babies to term
-Gained 30lbs, then lost it over 2 years before having children
-Changed my lifestyle and diet to accommodate healthier habits
-Breastfed 2 babies
-Navigated my way around countless cities 
-Traveled to my first foreign country
-Said hello and goodbye to our first fur child
-Began the awesome journey that is Crossfit
-Became the fittest I've ever been in my entire life at the age of 30


Ten years is a lot to try to put down onto a list....so I am sure I'm not remembering everything. Although, the ones I did were pretty important to me. 

I am absolutely NOT the same person I was 10 years ago. Not only am I ok with this, I am happy about it. A lot of people will tell you that you get to know yourself a lot during your 20's and I have to agree. I have really come into my own and while I'm far from perfection, I am pretty content with who I am. The older I get, the more I have realized how rare a solid true friendship is and I tend to value those relationships a little more everyday. I have a handful of people in my life that I feel like I could say anything to and it's okay. Unconditional love is something I thought was reserved only for super close family members, but I am realizing that's not a finite rule and I am blessed to have people in my life who love me like that. They grieve and feel loss with me in rough times and celebrate with me in happy times. I do my best to love them like they love me and let them know they hold a priority in my life as well. Maintaining these relationships (usually long distance) isn't always easy, but it's ALWAYS worth it.

I am thankful for these relationships and the relationships I hold close in our little family. My husband and I are ten years in and still thick as thieves. We've always done a good job of keeping "us" a priority and I pray we always do. Sometimes the storms in life make it hard to see the hand you need to hold onto to survive, I just pray we never lose our grip on each other. 

Here's to 30. The decade of time spent with family. There will be traveling, as a family and as a couple, maybe the start of a new career, maybe graduate school, and for sure all the love and memories we can squeeze into ten years. I absolutely cannot wait.














Flowers from two sweet friends! 


Beautiful orange tulips from my husband. 



Had to scooch in closer to this guy ;) 















No comments:

Post a Comment