Friday, November 25, 2011

Christmas Tradition Revival

When my husband and I got married, one of the best parts of "becoming one" was picking and choosing our own family traditions to bring into our new life together. Especially for the holidays.

There's one tradition in particular that I have always wanted to integrate into our life for Christmas, but until today, I didn't know how. When my sisters and I were little, my mom would take us to Wal-Mart and let us pick out an angel from their angel tree. These are under privileged children whose parents needed help providing Christmas presents for them. We each got to pick one close to our age and then go pick out items for them throughout the store. It was something I always looked forward to and really made me feel better than I did getting my own presents Christmas morning.

The thought to continue that tradition in our family had crossed my mind before and shame on me for not putting forth a greater effort to find someone who does this in our new town. Luckily, my husband volunteered for just such a group through his squadron and made my day by bringing home two new little angels.

I am very excited for us to shop for these two girls (sisters) this year. We have always been extremely grateful for what we have, but I'm sorry to say, we've been lacking in giving back. I hope we are able to help make this Christmas a good one for those two little girls. We hope to continue this tradition with our own children someday and I hope they feel as good as I did about giving back and helping those who need it.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to be at a point in life where you are able to start giving. The first few years are hard, but when you get to where you can donate and help make a difference, it's one of the most successful feelings you can experience! Love yoU!

    ReplyDelete