Monday, January 30, 2012

Healthy Substitutes

We are only one month into 2012 and hubs and I continue to add things to our resolution list! I have challenged myself to drink MUCH more water everyday. It's always been a challenge for me since I don't drink a lot of beverages anyway. But I've noticed many positive changes just because I'm getting the required daily amount of water!

We also got invited to go on a long overdue family vacation with my family in Hawaii over Spring Break! As soon as we booked the flight, we realized that we needed to add another change in the mix to our diet/exercise routines. We have been doing really well in keeping our exercise regular throughout the week. But something we've been struggling with is being more proactive about the food we eat. Portion control is something we have gotten a good handle on, but now our goal is to stay UNDER the daily recommended grams of fat per day. (go to this website to find your recommended amt:http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fat.asp)

At first, this seemed like a big task. But once we actually started paying attention to nutrition facts on packages we use at home, we realized it may not be that challenging after all. Which brings me to SUBSTITUTING :)

This has become a BIG part of my cooking routine at home. These are just some of the substitutes I have used in order to trim the fat here at the McVay house.

*I try to use turkey instead of beef in every recipe. They seriously taste exactly the same, and you don't have to see all the nasty grease in the pan before you drain it and wonder how much of it will be going into your system! Yuck!

*Even though neither of us are fans of yogurt, I stocked up on the plain greek stuff in order to use it in place of sour cream in cooking. Though I've learned today that if you plan to use yogurt instead of sour cream in baking, add an extra tsp of baking soda since yogurt isn't as thick as sour cream. You don't want to lose that texture.

*Look for low-fat/non-fat labels. We didn't realize how many products at the store offer low-fat/non-fat alternatives. We haven't had to spend any extra time or money replacing our usual products with the healthier ones.

*Another substitute you can use in baking is apple sauce. ( I know, sounds gross) But it's a good alternative to oil or butter in cakes, cookies, etc.

*There's also the option to use artificial sweeteners in baking to reduce the amt of sugar you are consuming. I did this for awhile a few years ago. Just know that it will change the taste, consistency and look of your baked goods.

All that being said, humans need fat to live. Although most Americans have no problem getting more than enough of their daily share of fat. It never hurt to check the nutrition facts and be aware of what you need/don't need. Be proactive in your life and how you take care of your body! It will thank you in twenty years when you won't require HTN meds or need to watch your cholestrol like a hawk.

Good luck and Here's to a Happy and HEALTHY 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment